Friday, June 17, 2011

Little Woman Part 1

For my first selection on this reading list I chose Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott. Let me say that I have read this book before but it has been a long time since I have done so. When I was little I had an abridged version with illustrations that I read over and over and over again. I remember feeling so smart because the book was so big and I was smart enough to read it. When I was older and I got an unabridged copy I was surprised at how different it was. It was still the same story but my beloved illustrations were missing! The biggest difference was the writing and it took me a bit before I got used to that. Now at a ripe old age, I decided that this book would be the best to start my list because it is one that i love and one that I have not read in a while.
 
This book is a feel good book, there are many trails and heartbreaking moments, but if you want a book that in the end will make you feel pretty happy, this is it. It begins in Massachusetts during the Civil War. As a reader, you are introduced to the March family, Marmee or Mother, Meg the oldest, Jo the tomboy and writer, Beth the sweet, even-tempered and shy daughter and last, Amy the artist. You hear of their father only to learn that even though he is an older man, he has volunteered to serve as a chaplain in the Union Army. This family is remarkably close. They tell each other everything and lean on each other for support. The family used  to be rich but the kind father lent money to a friend to help with a business deal that went sour so the family lost their money.
There must always be a young man, his name is Theodore Lawrence, or Laurie. Oh how I used to wish for my Laurie to come along! He is smart, sweet, funny, rich and generally a great guy! You (or at least I) can't help having heart flutterings when he and Jo run around and share jokes and play jokes on the family. He is the March's neighbor and it takes Jo's blunt and matter-of-fact "charms" to get him out of the house and into the story. Who will he marry? (you know it has to be one of the March sisters but with so many to choose from, you never know!) 
Part One serves as an extended introduction. The reader gets to know each and every sister and the world around them. Since the sisters are so different, the reader has a good chance of identifying with at least one. Jo is my favorite. She is a blunt tomboy who loves to read and write and will never be a "proper young lady." She is usually outside running around (something a young lady just should not do) or reading. I think that I identify with her since I usually say the wrong thing  and I prefer to be outdoors and reading! I love her friendship with Laurie and how she tries to be the proper lady Meg wants her to be but never really does. Instead she becomes a woman in her own way, which I think is just as charming. 
Part One also lays the groundwork for what happens in the rest of the novel. While caring for a poor family, Beth gets sick with Scarlett Fever. She is very sick and while the mother is called away to care for her sick husband in Washington, Beth gets sicker and sicker. The doctors fear that she will die and the sisters and Laurie send a telegram to their mother. Beth eventually does get better, but doesn't seem to be quite the same. John Brooke is introduced as Laurie's tutor, and of course he falls in love with Meg. She is still young but he confesses his undying love for her and tells her that he will work for her hand. It all seems romantic but I didn't like the way John did it. He still treated her like a child while asking her to be his partner. It really bugged me. I was actually hoping that Meg would shut the door in his face, like Jo would have, and told him to come back when he can speak to her like an equal. But no dice, she swoons and tells him that she will wait. Another thing that bothers me about that whole situation is that it takes Aunt March telling Meg that she can't marry him to actually make her accept him. Isn't that a good reason to marry? You told me not to so I am going to, take that you crotchety old woman! 
The perfect paring for this book is a cup of tea and a hammock or couch, preferably outside but inside works as long as the curtains are open to let in the light. Quite relaxing. 
Part Two begins now!

No comments:

Post a Comment