Friday, July 8, 2011

Harry Potter, the Book That Began it ALL!

What can I say about this book? I haven't read it since high school when I became obsessed with Harry. 
This book is so brilliant. It sucks you in. I read it in a day simply because I could not stop reading. I have to give respect where respect is due and J.K. Rowling deserves a lot of respect for this book. I am a reading teacher and it is incredibly frustrating when students do not read. They complain about not being able to read well but don't read so they can improve their skills. J.K. Rowling gave students something they can read and be interested in, which is a big part. Where this book really excels is it's ability to interest not only the younger readers but others as well. Sure, Harry is meant to be a children's book but many others can read it and become drawn in to this world all the same. 
 
The movie came out one day after my 16th birthday. Where do you think I spent my evening? They were having a ticket give-a-way at my school to raise money. Needless to say, I entered. I did not win the tickets but a teacher that I had did. She sent me the tickets so that I could go for my birthday. She was a great teacher, I was her teacher assistant for several semesters. So Mrs. Chambers, science teacher at East High, you rock and I am still grateful for those tickets. Isn't it amazing how one little act of kindness can really leave a mark on a person? 
This book teaches you to dream, it doesn't work if you can't allow yourself to believe that there may actually be wizards and witches out there in the world. It allows you to take a break from your life and live in a world of fantasy. This story will persevere but I wonder if it is the books that will live or the movies. I hope it is the books, they began it all. The movies are pretty good but the books are better. I love that four of the Harry Potter books have made it to BBC's list. Children's books? Yes, but great stories that are worth reading. I like to read this book anywhere but it helps to have some root beer to drink with it as well. Great story. 

Next up is a Jane Austen novel I have not read, Persuasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment