Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dune

Ok, before I divulge into this novel I must say that I knew the story before reading it. I have seen most, if not all of the movies that have been made out of this novel. And to be honest, I actually liked them. I was really excited to read this novel because of that. It is not often that I see a movie before I read it's book and I was interested in seeing how they changed the events. The most recent one that was actually made into a TV series was pretty close. Some of the characters do not look like the book describes them but what movie is perfect? 


As I was looking for pictures to post on the blog Google Images kept pooping up with one of Robert Pattinson or Edward. I clicked because I was curious as to what he has to do with Dune. The answer is a little startling, rumor has it that Dune will again be released in 2014 and guess who is going to play Paul. A vampire (yeah, yeah, I know he is not really a vampire but be honest with yourself, when you hear his name, what do you think of? That is what I thought.) All of this is pure rumor of course. 

Why in the world would they remake it again? The answer is that the movie is still relevant. The political and social satire is still relevant and truthful today. The oil is the spice, whomever can destroy it, truly controls it. Sad and scary but true. In the novel there is only one planet that is terrible enough to support spice production, which in turn fuels all space travel (hint) and is more expensive and valuable than other resources available. Very important people rely on the spice as a way of life and will kill in order to control it. Since, "he that controls the spice, controls the universe." It is still amazing to me how authors can recognize the truth and place it into a novel to prove their point. I am not going to get into a debate about oil and gas and our culture but I am asking that you take a step back and see how the author does it. Identifies his or her belief and creates this world where he can make his beliefs paramount. Just look how it is done, and give it the respect it deserves even if you do not agree with it.

Religion is a very important part of this story. Are leaders made, bred or is it all one long and complicated lie? In the novel there it is a blend of it all. There have been people spreading rumors and making the planet of Arrakis ready for Paul and his mother. Both of them knew about the legend and allowed themselves to fit the profile. But along with that, both of them perform some amazing feats. So one has to wonder, are they really what they say they are? Or are they big fat liars? As for me, I am convinced, just because a way has been prepared for you does not mean that they are liars, maybe I am naive, wouldn't be the first time.

The character development is a big part of this story. The author goes so far as to describe the voices of each individual character. The idea is to pick your favorite and here are a few of mine. 


Well of course there is Paul. Who despite being a whiny child in the beginning and a little bit of a jerk as he grows up, still needs the respect and the cheers of the reader. Paul is only 15 at the beginning of the book and about 18 when it ends. That is very young to be taking on the desires, wishes and not to mention the future of an entire population. He becomes their leader, in more than just a Duke as his father was, he blends the line between religion and politics and becomes something more. He has a lot of power and he is a good and fair leader, depending on what side you are on. 
 
Chani. Chani is my personal favorite. She is the daughter of a leader, Liet. She is smart, and poised. She takes on the challengers of Paul and kicks some major butt. She stands by, for and with her man no matter what. She even allows him to marry the Princess so that he can be on the throne, knowing that he doesn't love the princess and by all rights, she is his wife. This brings up an interesting point. Is that strength? Or is it folly? I don't think that I could share my husband but then again, I don't share well. She was raised in a culture where strong and important men had many wives.I think it is important what the Lady Jessica says to her, that even though she must bear the name of concubine, history will call her wife. She knows her duty both as partner and member of the tribe and she stands and fights for what she wants.  She is at Paul's side through the uprising and stands next to him when he goes through his most dangerous trials. Isn't that what you do for your mate? Give them support no matter how bleak the outcome appears? Chani will kick your butt if you mess with her people and most importantly her "beloved." You go girl. 

The rest of the characters are so in depth that they become real people. The father, the mother, and their mortal enemy, Baron Harkonnen. I think Science Fiction  is a difficult genre to excel in. Your reader had to believe that the world that is being created is real. The author adds a sense of comfort when they make their characters so real that there is one thing that you can trust and almost take for granted. There are so many other things for the mind to wrap around, the setting and what is possible. When the characters are so real, it eliminates a potential problem. So there you go, if you are thinking about writing a Science Fiction  novel, make your characters real. 

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." 
I like this. I think it is important to find a way to face and defeat your fear. As I say this, there is a spider walking across the wall and my husband gets up to kill it because I can't. So I guess that it has it's limitations. 

What else it there to say.. I read this book during a heatwave here in town which seemed fitting. I always felt a little guilty when I took a big swig of my water and the characters talk about how precious water is. So you want to read this book when it is really hot and you have a lot of water. 

My blog on Dune ends on
I couldn't resist. 


Now back to Anna Karenina

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I have read a lot of science fiction. There is some good science fiction out there, but a lot of it is not so good. Dune is solidly in the good category and for me a true classic. What separates the good and bad for me is the complexity and originality of the plot and the development of the characters. Herbert excels in these areas. He is not my favorite sci-fi author but this book may be one of the most original and intriguing sci-fi books ever written.

    Your thoughts on the story are "spot on"!

    BadDad

    ReplyDelete