Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Secret Garden

So here is my confession. I was supposed to read this in my British Literature class in college but (oh the shame) I never did. I tried to read it when I was younger but abandoned it for more exciting pursuits. I found this particular attempt to be really relaxing actually. The meaning of the story is laid out for you and there really is not guess work, you can lay back and enjoy a good story.


With this author, you don't have to think about the deeper meaning or what she is trying to say, she just lays it on out there for you. Children should be children and all things can be cured with nature, especially if there is a robin thrown in. Isn't it nice to know that all you need to do to heal a child that is sick is to take them outside and let them garden? I will have to rewrite my lesson plans. 'but sir, I read a book that told me that you can cure both a child's mind and any bodily issues by letting them play outside! That is why we haven't read anything in two months!"

All cynicism aside, there is a good point being made here. So many children do not play outside. They have their video games and they have their tv's. Not to sound like a complaining older person, but I played outside all the time when I was growing up. I may not have had my own garden but I was outside a lot. That is something that many kids cannot or choose not to do. Sad.



My perfect pairing for this story is up a tree on a warm spring day. However, if you have to enjoy it in bed before you crash out for the day on a cool fall evening, that is ok too.

 

This is a lovely story that can get a little preachy but is enjoyable none-the-less. There isn't much to say about it without giving it all away. I had some fond memories of my childhood while reading because of how often she talks about the benefit of being outside. I rode bikes, wore sheets that I pretended were long flowing dresses and got into all manner of mischief. I have scars on my knees and elbows from when I fell, and I know how to climb a tree. And I survived. Oh look at that, now I am getting a little preachy.



The message that this book leaves you is a resounding, GO OUTSIDE!!!

Next, Alice's Adventure in Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment